Davis Downtown’s 2nd Friday ArtAbout is a monthly evening of art viewing and artists’ receptions at galleries and businesses in Davis. All receptions and viewings are free and open to the public. Many showings include complimentary refreshments and opportunities to converse with featured artists. For more information about Davis Downtown and ArtAbout, visit DavisDowntown.com, or e-mail ArtAbout@DavisDowntown.com.
Special Events, Live Music, Performances & Venue Updates:
The February 8 ArtAbout is HeArtAbout, a special art walk celebrating Valentine’s Day with special exhibitions—some more traditional like ciocolat’s “Whimsical Hearts” featuring the works of Mary Neri King and non-traditional like Spa Central’s “Kim Stein Photography – Seasons in Paris” and The Artery’s “Camp Barbera,” works by Tomas and Sara Post that both feature the love of a particular location—and treats—such as Armadillo Music that is partnering with Sugar Daddies to have ice cream and cupcakes. Please enjoy the Valentine’s Day themed exhibitions and treats (like wine, chocolates, and more) at Armadillo Music, The Artery, Best Western Palm Court, ciocolat, E Street Plaza, French Cuff Consignment, Nelson Gallery, Paulina’s Boutique, Pence Gallery, Radiate Art Collective, Spa Central, Studio 21, Whole Foods Market, and Yolo SPCA Thrift Store
Davis Downtown welcomes new venues Best Western Palm Court, Radiate Art Collective, and Studio 21 to 2nd Friday HeArtAbout. Also enjoy live music, DJ, and/or special events at Armadillo Music, Best Western Palm Court, Davis Art Center, Davis Developmental Pediatrics Group, E Street Plaza, Pence Gallery, The Wardrobe, and Whole Foods Market Davis.
Art Receptions & Viewings:
- Armadillo Music,205 F St., 530-758-8058; reception, 6-9p.m., “Art by: Katie Brownell,” prints and paintings, through February 28. Sugar Daddies will be providing special Valentine’s Day treats of ice cream and cupcakes. Live music by The Young Vintage Band from 6:30-7:30p.m. Hours: Monday-Saturday, 10a.m.-10p.m.; Sunday, 11a.m.-8p.m.
- The Artery, 207 G St., 530-758-8330; reception, 7-9p.m., “Camp Barbera,” Tomas and Sara Post, photographic collages (Tomas) and mixed media paintings and prints (Sara), through March 5. Both artists invite you experience their piece of utopia as they fill the gallery with “love of place.” Hours: Monday-Thursday & Saturday, 10a.m.-6p.m.; Friday, 10a.m.-9p.m.; Sunday, 12-5p.m.
- Best Western Palm Court, 234 D St., 530-231-5919; reception, 7-9:30p.m., featuring art from local artists in their atrium, various media, ongoing. Wine pouring and morsels as well as live music by Easy Living featuring Diana Craig and Sergei Shkurkin, jazz and contemporary. Hours: Monday-Saturday, 7:30a.m.-7p.m.; Sunday, 9:30a.m.-5p.m.
- Bohème Hip Used Clothing, 409 Third St.; reception 6-8p.m., “strangers,” DHS Senior Claire Evans, a collection of recent acrylic and embroidery over acrylic pieces, through February 22. Hours: Tuesday-Saturday, 10:30-5:30p.m.
- ciocolat, 301 B St., 530-753-3088; reception, 6-8 p.m., “Whimsical Hearts,” Mary Neri King, acrylic and mixed media, through March 31. Hours: Sunday-Saturday, 7:30a.m.-9p.m.
- Cloud Forest Café, 222 D St., Suite 10, 530-753-2164; reception, 4-7p.m., LaVille Logan, pastels & watercolor, through February 28. Hours: Monday-Saturday, 7:30a.m.-7p.m.; Sunday, 9:30a.m.-5p.m.
- Crepeville,330 Third St., 530-750-2400; viewing, 7a.m.-11p.m., Frankie Hansbearry, sculpted paintings, through March 31. Hours: Monday-Sunday, 7a.m.-11p.m.
- Davis Developmental Pediatrics Group, 760 Fifth St., 530-758-3374; reception, 6-9p.m., Rotating art show from “Team Davis” students, through February 28. Kids are welcome to create art at reception. Hours: Monday-Friday, 9a.m.-5p.m.
- Delta of Venus, 122 B St., 530-753-8639; reception, 7-9p.m., “Roots and Connections,” MariaVictoria Rojas, acrylic, silkscreen, and mixed media works, through February 28. Hours: Monday-Wednesday, 7:30a.m.-10p.m.; Thursday & Friday, 7:30a.m.-12a.m.; Saturday & Sunday, 7:30a.m.-6p.m.
- French Cuff Consignment, 130 G St., 530-756-3724; reception, 5-9p.m., Darnell Horton, acrylic paintings and sculptures, through March 6. Hours: Monday-Sunday, 10a.m.-6p.m.
- International House, 10 College Park, 530-753-5007; reception, 6-8p.m., “Warp, Weft, and Shuttle – Functional Weavings,” Verena Borton, weavings (blankets, shawls, scarves), through March 4. Hours: Monday-Friday, 9a.m.-4p.m.
- Logos Books, 513 Second St., 530-400-1083; viewing, 10a.m.-8p.m., “Vitae et Historiae,” Helen DiCarlo, painted images of people, through March 31. Hours: Tuesday-Saturday, 10a.m.-8p.m.; Sunday, 10a.m.-6p.m.; closed Monday
- Megan Wilkinson Photography, 132 E St., Suite 140 (Mansion Square), 530-219-4058; reception, 6-9p.m., “Jake Klein Photography,” color, film and digital, no manipulation or enhancement, one night only (February 8). Hours: by appointment.
- John Natsoulas Gallery, 521 First St., 530-756-3938; reception, 7-10p.m., “Bark!” Robert Arneson, Wayne Thiebaud, David Gilhooly, Robert Ransom, Arthur Gonzales, Esther Shimazu, Jeffrey Downing, Stephen Braun, Avery Palmer, Amber Aguirre, Rene Martucci, and others, and featuring work by the renowned artist of dogs and their world, Roy de Forest, various media, through February 24. Hours: Wednesday-Thursday, 11a.m.-5p.m.; Friday, 11a.m.-10p.m.; Saturday-Sunday, 12p.m.-5p.m.
- Nelson Gallery, Nelson Hall, UC Davis, 530-752-8500; reception, 5:30-7:30p.m., “Design + Build,” an open call exhibition for all to exhibit their original vision, ideas and designs for the new Jan Shrem and Maria Manetti Shrem Museum of Art, through March 17. A $500 prize will be awarded to the entry that best represents the future and history of art at UC Davis. Special Valentine’s Day themed treats. Check website (nelsongallery.ucdavis.edu) for general hours.
- The Paint Chip, 217 F St., 530-753-5093; reception, 6-8:30p.m., Sue McClurg, photography, through February 28. Hours: Monday-Saturday, 9:30a.m.-6p.m.; Sunday, 11a.m.-5p.m.
- Paulina’s Boutique, 207 F St. #A; reception, 6-8p.m., Jose Luis Rodriguez, paintings, through March 31. Wine and food at the reception. Hours: Tuesday-Saturday, 10:30a.m.-5:30p.m.
- Pence Gallery, 212 D St., 530-758-3370; reception, 6-9p.m., “By Hand: Extraordinary Fine Craft in California,” a juried exhibit of the best in contemporary art, including work in fiber, wood, ceramics, and metal, by California artists, as juried by the Oakland Museum’s Curator of Decorative Arts Julie M. Muniz, sponsored by the Creative Arts League of Sacramento, through April 5; and “Valentine’s Day Exhibit,” through February 28. Live classical music by the Davis High School strings quartet from, 7-9p.m. and chocolates. Hours: Tuesday-Sunday, 11:30a.m.-5p.m.
- Radiate Art Collective, 231 G St. (Court-N-Cedar), 530-304-5821, www.radiate-art.com; reception, 5:30-9p.m., Bill and Amy Habicht, Jan Wolf, and Thelma Weatherford, painting, drawing, photography, and textiles. Wine during reception. Studio space still available. Hours: by appointment.
- RE/MAX Gold, 408 Second St., 530-756-1212; reception, 6-8p.m., William Kenefick, black & white photography, through February 28. Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:30a.m.-5:30p.m., closed for lunch 12-1p.m.
- Spa Central,213 F St., 530-758-7400; reception, 7-9p.m., “Kim Stein Photography – Seasons inParis,” photography prints, through February 28. Hours: Tuesday-Friday, 10a.m.-6p.m.; Saturday, 10a.m.-5p.m.
- Studio 21, 231 G St., Suite 21 (Court-N-Cedar), firstname.lastname@example.org; reception, 6:30-9:30p.m., “Sweets @ Studio 21,” Lauren Brandy, oil paintings (two shoes studio) + Valentines Ceramics (alluvial), and Thelma Weatherford, acrylic and mixed media. Studio 21 is a new collaboration between the artists Lauren Brandy and Thelma Weatherford. In an open studio setting, the space features landscapes and abstracts in oils and acrylic as well as small ceramics–expressions of each individual artist but complementing each other in the shared gallery. Come by and enjoy artwork, drink wine, nibble on sweets and see their creative studios in person. Hours: by appointment.
- UC Davis Craft Center, South Silo Building, UC Davis, 530-752-1475; reception, 6-7p.m., “2.5 Dimensional,” Joanna Kidd, ceramic bas-relief sculpture, through February 8. Hours: Monday-Thursday, 12:30-10p.m.; Friday, 12:30-7p.m.; Saturday-Sunday, 10a.m.-6p.m.
- The Wardrobe, 206 E St., 530-756-1128; reception, 4-9p.m., “Sara D Designs,” Sara Deshan Reinhart, fine jewelry, through March 1. Music by The Sound of Fashion. Hours: Monday-Friday, 11a.m.-7p.m.; Saturday, 11a.m.-6p.m.; Sunday, 12-5p.m.
- Yolo SPCA Thrift Store, 920 Third St., 530-758-0544; reception, 1-6p.m., Jennifer Foss, dog and other animal paintings, and Mamadu, mixed media. Free refreshments! Hours: Monday-Sunday, 10a.m.-7p.m.