2nd Friday ArtAbout September 14, 2012
2nd Friday ArtAbout is a monthly evening of art viewing and artists’ receptions at galleries and businesses in Davis. Coordinated by the Davis Downtown, all events are free and open to the public. Many include complimentary refreshments and opportunities to converse with featured artists. For more information about Davis Downtown and ArtAbout, visit www.davisdowntown.com, or e-mail email@example.com.
Special Events, Live Music, Performances & New Venues:
The Davis Downtown would also like to welcome back Pomegranate Salon, who would like to promote Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Also – enjoy live music, DJ, and/or special event at Armadillo Music, Davis Art Center, Davis Developmental Pediatrics Group, Davis Odd Fellows Lodge, Delta of Venus, French Cuff Consignment, John Natsoulas Gallery, Pence Gallery, Pomegranate Salon, Studio K, Thai Recipes, The Wardrobe, The Work Shop, and the Yolo SPCA Thrift Store.
Art Receptions & Viewings:
- Armadillo Music, 205 F St., 530-758-8058; reception, 6-9p.m., “Zed,” Gabe Horn, mixed media, through November 7. Live music by Misner & Smith starting at 7p.m. Hours: Monday-Saturday, 10a.m.-10p.m.; Sunday, 11a.m.-6p.m.
- The Artery, 207 G St., 530-758-8330; reception, 7-9p.m., “My Left Hand,” Phil Gross, painting, through November 6. Hours: Monday-Thursday & Saturday, 10a.m.-6p.m.; Friday, 10a.m.-9p.m.; Sunday, 12-5p.m.
- Avid Reader, 617 Second St., 530-758-4040; reception, 5:30-7p.m., “Northern California,” Melissa Leady, photgraphy, through November 5. Hours: Monday-Saturday, 11a.m.-6p.m.
- Bohème Hip Used Clothing and Paulina’s Boutique, 222 D St., Suite 9A; reception 6:30-8p.m., Emma Luna, ceramic panties, through October 31. Hours: Tuesday-Saturday, 10:30-5:30p.m.
- Cloud Forest Café, 222 D St., Suite 10, 530-753-2164; reception, 4-6p.m., Marlene Lee, oil & acrylic paintings, through October 31. Hours: Monday-Saturday, 7:30a.m.-7p.m.; Sunday, 9:30a.m.-5p.m.
- Crème de la Crème, 222 D St., Suite 6B, 530-758-0851; reception, 6-8p.m., CK, oil painting, one night only (October 12). Hours: Monday-Saturday, 7:30a.m.-7p.m.; Sunday, 9:30a.m.-5p.m.
- Crepeville, 330 Third St., 530-750-2400; viewing, 6a.m.-11p.m., Dolores Rodriguez, paintings and collage, through November 30. Hours: Monday-Sunday, 7a.m.-11p.m.
- Davis Art Center, 1919 F St., 530-756-4100; reception, 6-8p.m., “Stretching Function,” Heidi Bekebrede, George Grant, and Lillian Grant on collaborative works, and solo work by Rebecca Bresnick Holmes, Linda S. Fitz Gibbon, Marc Lancet, Donna Lemongello, Jennifer Nachmanoff, Sara Post, Thomas Post, and Jean Van Keuren, functional ceramics, through November 17. Fair Trade shelves and a Topsy Turvy Teapot table. Hours: Monday-Thursday, 9:30a.m.-7p.m.; Friday, 9:30a.m.-5p.m.; Saturday, 10a.m.-4p.m.
- Davis Developmental Pediatrics Group, 760 Fifth St., 530-758-3374; reception, 6-9p.m., Rotating art show from “Team Davis” students, through October 31. Kids are welcome to create art at reception. Hours: Monday-Friday, 9a.m.-5p.m.
- Delta of Venus, 122 B St., 530-753-8639; reception, 6-9p.m., “Capturing Study Abroad: Award Winning Photos from Aggies Around the World,” UC Davis Study Abroad Photo Contest Winners and Participants, photography, through November 30. Live Brazilian music by Boca Beats. Hours: Monday-Sunday, 7:30a.m.-10p.m.
- Edward Jones Investments, 4627 Fermi Place, Suite 130, 530-747-2002; reception, 4:30-8p.m., Sandi Osterman, creator of Raven’s Nest Design Jewelry, handcrafted artisan jewelry using semi-precious gemstones, Swarovski crystals, fresh water pearls, Czech glass and sterling and fine silver; Norma Rice, unique fiberart knitted scarves, hats, handbags, accessories and customized chemo caps; and Bill Briggs, nature and landscape photography, one night only (October 12). Hours: Monday-Friday, 8a.m.-5p.m.
- French Cuff Consignment, 130 G St., 530-756-3724; reception, 5-9p.m., Drew McSherry, charcoal, through October 31. Music by DJ Rock Bottom at reception. Hours: Monday-Sunday, 10a.m.-6p.m.
- International House, 10 College Park, 530-753-5007; reception, 6-8p.m., “Ecotones: A photographic exploration of wetlands,” James Scott, photography, in the Community Room through November 7. “Sketches by Birgitta B. Olson,” Prisma color pencil, in the Lounge Area through November 7. Hours: Monday-Friday, 9a.m.-4p.m.
- Logos Books, 513 Second St., 530-400-1083; reception, 6:30-9p.m., “Whimsical Art World of Marguerite Schaffron,” abstract art, through December 31. Hours: Tuesday-Saturday, 10a.m.-8p.m.; Sunday, 10a.m.-6p.m.; closed Monday
- LYON Real Estate, 401 Second St., 530-758-0720; reception, 6-8:30 p.m., Ben Tuason, black and white with selective colored photos, through October 28. Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:30a.m.-5:30p.m.; Saturday-Sunday, 11a.m.-4p.m.
- John Natsoulas Gallery, 521 First St., 530-756-3938; reception, 7-9p.m., “Beat Generation and Beyond,” various artists, various media, through November 3. Live music at the reception. Hours: Wednesday-Thursday, 11a.m.-5p.m.; Friday, 11a.m.-10p.m.; Saturday-Sunday, 12p.m.-5p.m.
- Nelson Gallery, Nelson Hall, UC Davis, 530-752-8500; reception, 5-7p.m., “Out of Line: A Show of Extended Drawing Practices,” Carol Bernard, Bette Burgoyne, Larry Cressman, Jim Denevan, Jeff Eisenberg, Julia Haft-Candell, Jim Melchert, and Hong Zhang, various media, through December 16. Check website (nelsongallery.ucdavis.edu) for general hours.
- nestware, 207 F St., 530-757-6400; reception, 6-9p.m., “Jean Sanchirico at nestware,” Northern California landscapes in pastels, through October 31. Hours: Monday-Saturday, 10am-6p.m.; Sunday, 12-5p.m.
- The Paint Chip, 217 F St., 530-753-5093; reception, 6-8:30p.m., “Students of Wild Child Outdoor Photo Camp,” nature photographs, students taught by Rita Gordon, through October 26. Hours: Monday-Saturday, 9:30a.m.-6p.m.; Sunday, 11a.m.-5p.m.
- Pence Gallery, 212 D St., 530-758-3370; reception, 6-9p.m., “Women that I Have Encountered: Paintings, Prints, and Drawings by Malaquias Montoya,” through November 25; “Open Studio: Roma Devanbu,” through November 2; and “Artists and Their Studios,” photographs of studios alongside work by various local artists, through October 28. Live Music by a Davis High School strings quartet, 7-8p.m. Hours: Tuesday-Sunday, 11:30a.m.-5p.m.
- Pomegranate Salon, 123 D St., 530-753-3559; reception, 6-9p.m., “Support Breast Cancer Awareness Month,” Charles V McDonald, photography, and Casey Robin Neal, illustrations, through October 31. Live guitar and vocals by David Hafter. Hours: Tuesday & Thursday, 9a.m.-8p.m.; Wednesday & Friday, 9a.m.-6p.m.; Saturday, 9a.m.-5p.m.
- RE/MAX Gold, 408 Second St., 530-756-1212; reception, 5-8p.m., “Urban Goddess Designs,” Misty Reed & Lisa Novotny, glass pendants & jewelry, through November 2. Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:30a.m.-5:30p.m., closed for lunch 12-1p.m.
- Studio K, 229 C St. (behind Coral Bay Dentistry), 530-753-3770; reception, 10-5p.m., Judy & Doug Gerhart, Bay Area artists who create beautiful still life and floral oil and acrylic paintings. Stella & Dot jewelry and Eufora & Davines hair products available. Hours: Monday-Tuesday, 10a.m.-7p.m.; Wednesday, 10a.m.-2p.m.; Thursday, 10a.m.-4p.m.; Friday, 10a.m.-5p.m.
- Thai Recipes, 132 E St. #190, 530-759-2099; reception, 6-7:30p.m., “Sissi” Jessica Vaitiare CHIN FOO, acrylic painting, through October 31. Stay for dinner and get a coupon. Hours: Dinner, Everyday, 5:30-9p.m.; Lunch, Monday-Saturday, 11:30a.m.-2p.m.
- The Wardrobe, 206 E St., 530-756-1128; reception, 4-9p.m., Desigual, fashion, through October 30. Reception will feature music by the Sound of Fashion DJ and informal fashion shows. Hours: Monday-Friday, 11a.m.-7p.m.; Saturday, 11a.m.-6p.m.; Sunday, 12-5p.m.
- The Work Shop, 213 E St., Suite F (upstairs in the back), firstname.lastname@example.org; reception, 6-9p.m., “Beauty, Hidden In Plain View,” Stephan Telm, photography & stone jewelry, through October 31, viewing by appointment. Food, wine, art, jewelry, and good conversation with The Work Shop members. Hours: Monday-Friday, 9a.m.-5p.m.
- Yolo SPCA Thrift Store, 920 Third St., 530-758-0544; reception, 2-7p.m., Mamadu, dogs best friend mobile grooming, mixed media. Bring your animal for a bath and stay for the refreshments! Hours: Monday-Sunday, 10a.m.-7p.m.
Other Events during ArtAbout:
- Davis Odd Fellows Lodge, 415 Second St.; 6-8p.m., “Odd Poetry” will show again in the tree-shade in front of the Odd Fellows Lodge. Listen to live performances of a wide range of poems, from the brand-new to the classic, and from the guffaw-inducing to those deeply moving. And since there will be an open mic, this is your chance to grace the stage with your presence, and share with us your favorite poems (original and otherwise)!
- Pamela Trokanski Dance Theatre, around the Davis Downtown, 530-756-3949; be on the look out for the Pamela Trokanski Dance Theatre and Third Stage Dance Company today during ArtAbout! Initially funded, jointly, by a City of Davis’ Arts Contract and Trokanski, the companies had so much fun that they are continuing the Dance In Public Places program on their own! For more information visit: www.trokanski.com.