2nd Friday ArtAbout Tonight
2nd Friday ArtAbout August 10, 2012
2nd Friday ArtAbout is a monthly evening of art viewing and artists’ receptions at galleries and businesses in Downtown Davis and beyond. Coordinated by the Davis Downtown Business Association, all events are free and open to the public. Many include complimentary refreshments and opportunities to converse with featured artists. For more information about Davis Downtown and ArtAbout, visit www.davisdowntown.com, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Special Events, Live Music, Performances & New Venues:
We are continuing our Summer Concert Series during the DDBA 2nd Friday ArtAbout with Belle Francisco, so be sure to stop by E Street Plaza from 7:30-9p.m. Also in E Street Plaza, the Rock Band Camp Concert Series, brought to you by the City of Davis and RockBand University, will rock out from 5-5:30p.m.
There are two brand new venues for the month, Kwan’s Framing and Spa Central. Kwan’s Framing will have artist Julia Cairns sign her new book as well as have live violin music by the artist’s daughter, Robin. Spa Central has new works by Jules Hays Norton as well as will offer special discounts for Second Friday ArtAbout only. Be sure to drop by and see both of these exciting new venues! Edward Jones Investments will be collecting school supplies for Jr. High Students to donate to the Davis Bridge Foundation. Also – enjoy live music, DJ, and/or special event at Armadillo Music, Davis Art Center, Davis Odd Fellows Lodge, Delta of Venus, E Street Plaza, First St. Real Estate, French Cuff Consignment, Kwan’s Framing, Open Door Art Studios, and Ray Johnston Photography Studio.
Art Receptions & Viewings:
- Armadillo Music, 205 F St., (530) 758-8058; reception, 6-9p.m., Jonathon Zowalki, pen & ink, through September 12. Live music starting at 7p.m. Hours: Monday-Saturday, 10a.m.-10p.m.; Sunday, 11a.m.-6p.m.
- The Artery, 207 G St., (530) 758-8330; viewing, 7-9p.m., “The Artery’s Annual Summer Sale,” various artists and media, dramatic Price Reductions with new arrivals everyday, through August 31. Hours: Monday-Thursday & Saturday, 10a.m.-6p.m.; Friday, 10a.m.-9p.m.; Sunday, 12-5p.m.
- Burgers and Brew, 403 Third St., (530) 750-3600; viewing, 6-11p.m., David Nasater, photography, through August 31. Hours: Sunday-Wednesday, 11a.m.-12a.m.; Thursday-Saturday, 11a.m.-3a.m.
- Cloud Forest Café, 222 D St., Suite 10, (530) 753-2164; reception, 4-6p.m., “Summer Glow,” Rhonda Egan, oil, through August 31. Hours: Monday-Saturday, 7:30a.m.-7p.m.; Sunday, 9:30a.m.-5p.m.
- Crepeville, 330 Third St., (530) 750-2400; viewing, 6a.m.-11p.m., Helen Plenert, paintings, through September 30. Hours: Monday-Sunday, 7a.m.-11p.m.
- Davis Art Center, 1919 F St., (530) 756-4100; reception, 5-7p.m., “Bee Creative!” A fun community activity evening in conjunction with the ongoing “Discovery Art: Cross Pollination” exhibit, through September 14. Local partners who make honey, keep bees, and teach the community about the importance of bees and other pollinators will showcase honey tasting, bee-themed art, hands-on honey and beeswax art making, as well as demonstrations with local bee experts. Hours: Monday-Thursday, 9:30a.m.-7p.m.; Friday, 9:30a.m.-5p.m.
- Delta of Venus, 122 B St., (530) 753-8639; reception, 6p.m.-1:30a.m., “Sissi & Elise Art Show,” “Sissi” Jessica Vaitiare CHIN FOO and Elise Le Gallo, acrylic painting, photography installation, photography, through September 6. Live band, DJs, and dance performance throughout the night. Hours: Monday-Sunday, 7:30a.m.-10p.m.
- Edward Jones Investments, 4627 Fermi Place, Suite 130, (530) 747-2002; reception, 4:30-8p.m., Christopher Dewees, Japanese fish printing, or gyotaku, one night only (August 10). Please bring any school supplies for Jr. High kids to donate to the Davis Bridge Foundation. Hours: Monday-Friday, 8a.m.-5p.m.
- First Street Real Estate, 423 First St., (530) 204-5444; reception, 5-7:30p.m., “For the Love of Sport,” Brandon Tucker, oil on canvas, through August 16. Live music by Dwight Smith and Benny Bray at the reception. Hours: Monday-Friday, 9a.m.-5p.m.; Saturday-Sunday, 10a.m.-2p.m.
- French Cuff Consignment, 130 G St., (530) 756-3724; reception, 5-9p.m., Vic Bicomon, oil paintings, through September 9. Music by DJ Rock Bottom at reception. Hours: Monday-Sunday, 10a.m.-6p.m.
- International House, 10 College Park, (530) 753-5007; reception, 6-8p.m., “Flora, Fauna, and Fun,” The ArtrageUs Artists, paintings, through October 9. Hours: Monday-Friday, 9a.m.-4p.m.
- Kwan’s Framing, 905 Third St., (530) 756-2668; reception, 6-9p.m., “Visions of India, Memories of Africa,” Julia Cairns, watercolor and mixed media, through August 31. Book signing by the artist and live fiddle music by the artist’s daughter, Robin. Hours: Tuesday-Friday, 10a.m.-6p.m.; Saturday, 10a.m.-4p.m.; closed Sunday & Monday
- Logos Books, 513 Second St., (530) 400-1083; reception, 6:30-9p.m., “My 50 Years of Art,” Don Harting, mixed media, through September 29. Hours: Tuesday-Saturday, 10a.m.-8p.m.; Sunday, 10a.m.-6p.m.; closed Monday
- John Natsoulas Gallery, 521 First St., (530) 756-3938; reception, 7-9p.m., “The 11th Annual Landscape Exhibition,” Louis Labrie, Boyd Gavin, Myron Stephens, Bruce Everett, Marie-Therese Brown, Cynthia Charters, oil, acrylic and watercolor paintings, through September 29. Hours: Wednesday-Thursday, 11a.m.-5p.m.; Friday, 11a.m.-10p.m.; Saturday-Sunday, 12p.m.-5p.m.
- Nelson Gallery, Nelson Hall UC Davis, (530) 752-8500; reception, 5-7p.m., “Flatlanders on the Slant,” for the (sorta) fiftieth anniversary of the Slant Step, fifty artists mark the occasion with new slant step work, various media, through August 17. Check website (nelsongallery.ucdavis.edu) for general hours.
- nestware, 207 F St., (530) 757-6400; reception, 6-9p.m., Steve Pro, mixed media, through August 31. Hours: Monday-Saturday, 10am-6p.m.; Sunday, 12-5p.m.
- Nina’s Studio, 241 F St., 530-758-9221; reception, 6-8p.m., “New Work by Moses Salgado,” acrylic on canvas, through October 31. Hours: Monday-Friday, 10a.m.-6 p.m.; Saturday, 10a.m.-4p.m.
- Open Door Art Studios, 231 G St. (Court-N-Cedar); open house, 5-8p.m., “Open Door Art Studios Open House Tour and Informational Evening.” Reception and project information available. Live Music.
- The Paint Chip, 217 F St., (530) 753-5093; reception, 6-8:30p.m., Peter Shahrokh, watercolor, through August 13. Hours: Monday-Saturday, 9:30a.m.-6p.m.; Sunday, 11a.m.-5p.m.
- Pence Gallery, 212 D St., (530) 758-3370; reception, 6-9p.m., “If the Shoe Fits,” group exhibit on the theme of shoes, all media, through August 22; “Community Hang-Up,” non-juried exhibit invites all artists aged 16 and up to submit one work of art in any media, through August 22; “Imagining Memory,” curated by photographer Youngsuk Suh, this exhibit focuses on work by Bay Area artists John Chiara, Klea McKenna and Genevieve Quick, photography, through August 19. Hours: Tuesday-Sunday, 11:30a.m.-5p.m.
- Ray Johnston Photography Studio, 803 Second St., Suite 302 (Chen Building), (530) 756-0499; reception, 6-10p.m., “Sea of Dreams a World of Water,” Ray Johnston, Underwater Photography, one night only (August 10). DJ Lounge Beat, refreshments and outdoor patio seating – view of Davis from the 3rd floor. Hours: Tuesday-Saturday, 10:30a.m.-6p.m.
- Spa Central, 213 F St., (530) 758-7400; reception, 7-9p.m., “Overture,” Jules Hays Norton, a new collection of photography, through August 31. Special discounts and refreshments. Hours: Tuesday-Friday, 10a.m.-6p.m.; Saturday, 10a.m.-5p.m.
- U.S. Bank, 304 F St., (530) 756-7283; reception, 4-8p.m., “The Gallery,” featured artist – Phill Evans, kinetic sculpture, as well as various artists, mixed media, sculpture, painting, photography & jewelry, ongoing. Hours: Monday-Thursday, 9a.m.-5p.m.; Friday, 9a.m.-6p.m.; Saturday 9a.m.-1p.m.
- The Work Shop, 213 E St., Suite F (upstairs in the back), email@example.com; reception, 6-9p.m., “One & Only Arts,” Darnell Horton, acrylic paintings, ceramic sculptures, through August 31, viewing by appointment. Hours: Monday-Friday, 9a.m.-5p.m.
- Yolo SPCA Thrift Store, 920 Third St., (530) 758-0544; reception, 2-7p.m., Mamadu, dogs best friend mobile grooming, mixed media. Bring your animal for a bath! Hours: Monday-Sunday, 10a.m.-7p.m.
Other Events during ArtAbout:
- Davis Odd Fellows Lodge, 415 Second St.; 6-8p.m., “Odd Poetry” will show again in the tree-shade in front of the Odd Fellows Lodge. Listen to live performances of a wide range of poems, from the brand-new to the classic, and from the guffaw-inducing to those deeply moving. And since there will be an open mic, this is your chance to grace the stage with your presence, and share with us your favorite poems (original and otherwise)!
- Rock Band Camp Concert Series, E Street Plaza, www.rockbanduniversity.com; 5-5:30p.m., City of Davis and RockBand University (Davis’ Official School of Rock) bring to you Rock Band Camp! A Summer camp dedicated to teaching young musicians how to play together in a band in a week’s time! This week, musicians ages 10 through 14 will deliver some hard rocking covers to get the E Street crowd headbanging! Come join us for some loud, live, good old rock n roll!
- Summer Concert Series, E Street Plaza; 7:30-9p.m., Singer/Songwriter Belle Francisco plays guitar and writes original folk, acoustic rock, progressive music. Currently based in Winters, she continues to build a buzz surrounding her warm and expressive ability to touch her audience