Not sure what to do this weekend? Here are five things that are happening nearby. Take your pick. Heck, it’s a long weekend, try them all!
- Chalk It Up! Hundreds of artists will be using the sidewalks around Fremont Park in Sacramento as their canvas. Festivities will be held throughout the Labor Day weekend and include live music, food, a playground, T-shirts for sale, and incredible art. Freemont Park is located at 16th and Q Streets. Afterwards grab some chalk and decorate your own sidewalk!
- Ride a Train around Hagen Park this Saturday from noon – 4pm. The Sacramento Valley Live Steamers offer kids the chance to sit on a mini steam train and take a tour of the park. The cost is free, but donations are welcome. Also at Hagen Park is a petting zoo, a lake, and plenty of room to run around or have a picnic.
- Take a run through Davis. The Golden Valley Harriers is hosting a Labor Day Run this Monday morning. You can choose between a 5K and 10K course. There is even a 1K run for kids. Proceeds from The Labor Day Run are donated to several grass-roots local charities.
- Build a football display. Home Depot offers do-it-yourself activities for kids each month. A workshop area is set up within the store. Kits are provided free of charge. Parents can assist their young carpenter with gluing, sanding, and sometimes hammering to complete the project. Kids also get a pin for their hard work.
- Take in some Sacramento history at the Gold Rush Days. Old Sacramento will head back in time to the 1850s complete with costumed re-enactors, gun fights, musicians, and much more. Festivities will be held Friday from 9am – 4pm, Saturday and Sunday from 11am – 7pm, and Monday from 11am – 4pm. Don’t forget, you can get there directly by Amtrack and save the hassle of parking.
For more local trip ideas also visit www.trippingwithkids.com