5 Places To Go This Saturday
Haven’t made Saturday plans yet? Here are some ideas:
- Watch art in the making at the Junk 2 Genius from 5:30pm – 9pm at the Art Center. Up to 15 pre-registered teams will compete for the coveted “Trophy du Trash” in a two-hour timed “sculpt-off” using recycled materials. Each team receives a box of similar items—donated metal, fabric, computer, bike and auto parts—and races aganst the clock to create its own unique work of art. When the closing bell sounds, a panel of judges critiques the final green giants and names the winning team. All sculptures created at the event will be on display in the Davis Art Center Tsao Gallery, September 12-23. Other festivities at Junk 2 Genius include art projects for kids using a variety of cast-off materials, food, beer, wine and music.
- Build a pet leash holder at the Lowe’s Build and Grow Clinic.
- Cook up some rice dishes at the Coop Kids Can Cook event. You will be making chicken and rice soup, fried rice and speedy rice pudding. The kitchen opens at 3:30 pm.
- See some living history in Sacramento at Sutter’s Fort. Excitement is brewing for the men of the newly formed California Battalion, but those at the Fort are frightened. Women need to feed the families, products still need to be made, animals must be tended and the ever present fear that loved ones will die in battle stifle the atmosphere. In the timeless story of those left behind, Sutter’s Fort plays out the struggle between those who want to fight for their ideals and those who just want to live in peace. Reenactments are from 10am – 5pm. Tickets are $6 for adults, $4 for youth (6-17) and kids 5 and under are free.
- Enjoy some chocolate at the Ghiradelli Square Chocolate Festival. You can watch chefs making chocolate desserts and kids can participate in an ice-cream eating contest. There is also live music. The festival runs from noon until 5pm on Saturday and Sunday. It is free, but if you want to taste chocolate, tickets are $20 for 15 samples.
For other trip ideas visit www.trippingwithkids.com