Pancakes, parades, sports games, swimming, music, BBQ, skydivers and fireworks, packed all into one day. What is not to like about Independence Day?!?
Here is a list of things that you and the family can do to celebrate:
- From 7 to 10 a.m. the Davis Little League will be hosting its annual all-you-can-eat pancake breakfast at the Veterans’ Memorial Center, 203 E. 14th St. Tickets are $3 and will be available at the door. Little Leaguers in uniform eat for free. The Davis Little League Little League exhibition games will be held at the Davis Little League complex at Covell Boulevard and F Street. The T-Ball game begins at 8:30 a.m. The Farm teams play at 9:00 a.m. and 11:00 p.m. and AA level exhibition games will be played at 9:00 and noon. The AAA game will be at 10:00 a.m. and the Majors exhibition game will be played at 12:30 p.m.
- At 9 a.m. head out with your best decorated non-motorized vehicle (strollers, wagons, bicycles, etc.) to C Street between 1st and 2nd streets for the 50thannual Kiwanis Kiddie Parade. Judging for awards will begin at 9:30 a.m. Scooters, bicycles, wagons, stroller, walkers and groups will be judged based on creativity, patriotism and enthusiasm. At 10 a.m. the parade begins to march north on C Street into Central Park. The parade will end in the shaded sycamore grove, and refreshments will be provided. For more information, contact Heather Ringer (530) 400-8291 or Jerry Hallee (530) 848-5882.
- The Davis Bike Club’s 34th annual Fourth of July Criterium will feature a day full of bike racing action on a .7 mile L-shaped loop in downtown Davis. The first race, Elite men 5, will begin at 7:45 a.m. and the last, the Masters 35+ 1/2/3 will start at 4:10 p.m. In between are races for pros, juniors and elite men and women. A special free non-competitive fun ride for kids will start at 11:30 a.m. Bicycle and supplier displays will be located at Third and F Streets near the Start/Finish line. Registration is in the E Street Plaza across from Chipotle. For more information, go to: www.sportsbaseonline.com and search for Davis July 4th Criterium.
- The 29th annual men’s slow pitch softball tournament will be held at Playfields Park in South Davis, beginning by 9 a.m. The championship game finals will run from 6:00 to 9:00 p.m. in Community Park. For more information, contact the Lori Conrad in the Community Services Department at (530) 753-7731.
- Community Pool will be open for free swimming between 1 and 5 p.m. on July 4. Both Arroyo and Manor public swimming pools will be open for swimming on July 4th between 1 and 5 p.m. Regular admission rates will apply at Arroyo and Manor.
- In Community Park, food concessions will begin at 3 p.m. and will run until 9:30 p.m. A variety of nonprofit groups will sell soft drinks, hot dogs, beer, ice cream and snow cones. Music will begin at 4:55pm and run through 9:32, when the fireworks begin. Be sure not to miss the SkyDance Skydivers who fall from the sky around 7:45.
You can check out more trip ideas at www.trippingwithkids.com